Just For Today Challenge, Day 11: Get Outside Today

I’m going to continue to focus on your health for today. For Day 11, it’s time to get some exercise and clear your mind by getting outside in the Just For Today Challenge – 31 Days To A Better You.

This should be a fairly easy Challenge that should take you about 1/2 to complete. Of course, I will be joining you in this Challenge, too. I need to get away from the computer and get outside! It’s a big world out there and it’s time for me to explore my little corner of it.

When’s the last time you went outside, just for the joy of being in nature? I think it must have been last summer for me. That is a real shame, because even though it’s in the minus degrees Celsius here (e.g -25), that’s no excuse to get outside and enjoy what is all around us. I’ll have to bundle up to complete this Challenge, for sure!

It’s so easy to sit in front of the TV or the computer (take your pick) and let the days roll into each other without appreciating what’s outside on our doorstep. I can be pretty bad for this as well, as I am spending hours and hours in front of the computer writing articles for this blog, plus I spend my entire workday in front of a computer. While I’m trying to cut down my TV-watching time, it’s not easy. With the daylight being as short as it is now, most of the time I get up while it’s dark and I come home from work and it’s still dark outside. It takes a concerted effort to get outside to enjoy some nature. Hence, today’s Challenge :-)

Having difficulty putting things into perspective? Going outside for a walk and enjoying breathing in the fresh air will frequently result in clearing your mind and allowing you to put things into perspective. As you walk around you can repeat the saying, “This too shall pass” for whatever issues you are currently experiencing. There’s nothing like being outside and seeing the bounty that Mother Nature has presented us with to realize how small some of our problems are.

While you’re out enjoying the fresh air, ensure that you are taking deep breaths to allow more oxygen into your body. This will result in you thinking more clearly.

Oh, and you’ll get a little exercise, too. Getting outside for a walk for at least 30 minutes will release those lovely endorphins that we all want more of. They makes us feel good. It’s something easy that we all can achieve. You don’t have to have a purpose for going outside, except to enjoy nature. Take a walk around the block and notice the changes in your neighbourhood. Walk to work using a different route and appreciatethe differences you see along the way. Take the family for a walk after dinner and enjoy both the exercise and the quality time spent with your family. There are countless ways to get outside and enjoy what’s being offered.

You can even extend the Challenge of taking pictures by going outside for a walk today to enjoy nature. Take pictures of your natural environment and of things that inspire you. There’s nothing like seeing the fresh snow on the ground and realizing the passing of seasons. Or, enjoy whatever season you are currently experiencing.

As usual, let me know how you made out with today’s Challenge by leaving a comment below. Were you able to conscious get outside and enjoy some nature today. I hope the freezing temperatures didn’t stop you :-)

For a list of all of the Challenges, see the Just For Today Challenge page.

• Loving day 12!

We live right in the heart of middle England, I love it, especially now all the snow is out.
    .-= TheInfoPreneur´s last blog ..Why You Have to Lead From the Front =-.

• I’m glad that you are enjoying today’s Challenge.

It’s been really, really cold here, but I will bundle up and walk home from work today. It’s supposed to be warmer tomorrow, so I’ll have no excuse to get outside and enjoy the fresh air tomorrow, too.

I would love to visit England some day. If you need more snow, just let us know as we have plenty to go around :-)

• I will exercise today. Please forgive the fact that it’s going to be in the 70′s here in southern California.

Ray
    .-= Ray´s last blog ..Thomas Paine’s Common Sense Preserving Freedom =-.

• Hi Ray,

Getting out and enjoying nature is the point of the Challenge – you have my permission to do it today instead of yesterday :-) Lucky you – it’s freezing up here!

It’s getting a tad bit warmer here (-10 instead of -30) so I’m going to make a point of walking to/from work to get in some exercise myself :-)

What an awesome idea for a New Year start. I love it! Today is my first visit to your site. I’ll be back tomorrow ;)

Btw, does waiting on the school yard for the children whilst being turned into a snow lady count as enjoying nature? ;)

Eleanor
    .-= Eleanor Edwards´s last blog ..Do Paypal really like good causes? =-.

• Hi Eleanor,

Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy tomorrow’s Challenge, as well. Feel free to return to Day 1 to see which previous tasks Challenge you :-)

Yes, waiting in the school yard definitely counts :-) You are outside, looking around, perhaps seeing snow men/snow women, and watching the kids run every which way. I hope they are enjoying the snow? It only lasts for 3-4 months, after all :-)

Thanks for the comment,

Snow is an absolute nightmare here in South Wales as we are totally unused to it! My friend teaches in Finland and goes to school every day. More than an inch or two here and everything stops! Last night we had another snow shower and as a result, only two school in Llanelli are open (my children’s being one of them ;))

Off to check out today’s challenge.
    Thanks for the welcome,
    Eleanor

• Enjoy it while it lasts :-)

You’re lucky you don’t get it for four months of the year like we do here :-)

• For a start, it is not freezing in my part of the world. Secondly, I am reading this post at night so I will have to postpone the reply re how it went.

My dog loves a good, long walk so he will be happy to find out I read this post :-)

• Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the site. I’m sure your dog was happy that he was spoiled with a walk. Lucky you that it’s not freezing. I hope you are enjoying the great outdoors in your neck of the woods.

It’s warmed up a little bit this week for us, but it’s still in the minuses. The snow is melting a little bit and making things very slushy. I’m sure that this mildness won’t last long though :-)

• As it turns out we have to tradesmen at the house today. A plumber and a builder. We are getting doors put onto a home theater and a tap fixed. The walk had to wait but not for long…. The dog is not happy either as he has been locked in the back yard. Oh well, it will be worth it to have some new doors and a tap that works.
        .-= Geoff´s last blog ..Jan 13, Life Balance =-.

• Home theatre – nice!

Yes, having a tap that provides water is very important, as are having doors :-)

I hope you make it up to your poor pouch.

• Hi,
    Wouldn’t you know that the day I visit your site and find this post is the day that we are having rain. Getting outside, and exercising are never a problem with me. I was hoping it would be a sunny day so I could go to the park and film some demo videos seeing how today is a holiday and my best camera lady is home from school.
    I’ll just have to do my exercise inside and it will give me more time to read more of your posts.
    .-= Aaron´s last blog ..So Mark McGwire took steroids… =-.

• Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the site. If you don’t want to go out in the rain, why not check out the other challenges to see what suits you better. Today, on Day 18th, you can update your resume while you stay indoors :-) Or you can even try Day 17th and declutter some of your home, if that’s what challenges you.

There’s lots to choose from, and stay tuned for the remaining days :-)

.-= Karen´s last blog ..Just For Today Challenge, Day 18: Why You Need To Update Your Resume =-.