Stop Lying To Yourself

Break the chain

Did you know that 90% of our behaviour is habitual?

That means that your habits, and not you, are in charge of your life.

The things you do every day are pretty much what you did yesterday and what you will do tomorrow.

If you aren’t happy with where you are in your life today, then change your habits.

One habit you should break is to stop lying to yourself and to only deal with reality.

Stop lying to yourself that you want to get in shape, but you haven’t gotten to the gym in months.

Stop lying to yourself that you want financial freedom but you haven’t bothered to open up an high-interest savings account or start your emergency fund.

Stop lying to yourself that you want to be in a relationship, but you haven’t accepted a date in years.

Stop lying to yourself that you want an location independent business but haven’t even started the research into one or have even talked to anyone who is already location independent.

Stop lying to yourself that you want to make money from your blog, but you’ve been writing for more than 6 months consistently and you have only made $80 in all that time.

Stop lying to yourself that you want to change, but are still doing the exact same thing that you did yesterday and the day before and the day before that.

Stop lying to yourself that you’ll be a better parent, but can’t be bothered to be home for dinner tonight because you want to go for a drink after work with the guys.

Stop lying to yourself that you want to give to charity, but can’t be bothered to give $5 to the homeless person you just passed on the street, or help your neighbour who got laid off a year ago and is struggling to feed his kids.

Stop lying to yourself that tomorrow will be different. It will be the same as today, unless you do something different.

It’s time to stop lying to yourself and change your habits. Start today. Do something different today so that your tomorrow will be different. Do something different tomorrow so the next day will be different.

Start taking control back.

The reason man may become the master of his own destiny is because he has the power to influence his own subconscious mind. – Napoleon Hill

1. The Power Of Analytical Thinking
2. What Would You Do If You Knew?
3. Do You Need To Let Go And Forgive?
4. 10 Things You Can Do Right Now To Improve Your Life
5. How To Make Better Decisions To Move You Forward In Life

• Karen, what a timely post for me. I have this glossed over view of things and have to constantly struggle to look deeper. This is especially hard to do when confronting things that you know aren’t what you’re trying to make them to be, i.e. truth about money or relationships.
    .-= Moon Hussain´s last blog ..Fun Friday Round-Up: Delish Posts to Savour =-.

• Hi Moon,

I think it’s way too easy to fool ourselves in so many areas. As you said, particularly when it comes to money and relationships.

It’s was just something on my mind so I’m glad that it was timely for you.

A very powerful post, thank you for sharing your thoughts. The message you are sending out is so true, if you aren’t doing it, that means you don’t want it badly enough; so stop kidding yourself!

If on the other hand you do want it badly enough, change your habits and do something about it.

Regards
    Paul
    .-= Paul´s last blog ..The SOS of Awareness =-.

• Hi Paul,

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, facing reality is hard, but so it deluding yourself every day that you want to change but aren’t doing anything to change yourself. Actions speak louder than words, definitely.

• Hi karen,I just came on to ur blog today & i must admit that i hav stopped on a blog worth reading.
    Coming to ur post , i agree with u.Bcoz a person who lives in reality will always be far ahead of the person who lives in the world of imagination( lying to himself) thinking that better days are comingggg without anything today……
    .-= Krish – lifesher´s last blog ..Assessing Success =-.

• Welcome Krish,

Facing reality can be hard, but living in a fantasy world just makes it harder once you snap out of it. Thanks for the comment.

• Though facing reality is a harder one,but the results u get when u are in reality will always help to get u succeeded in life
        .-= Krish – lifesher´s last blog ..Assessing Success =-.

• hi karen,
    how are you?
    my gosh!! you really came down hard on this one but it made an impact. we live in self denial because we procrastinate, are unsure of ourselves, live in fear, simply cant be bothered……..
    I couldnt agree more on the statement ‘Do something different today so that your tomorrow will be different’
    Thanks for sharing and do have a lovely day
    .-= ayo´s last blog ..40 Benefits Of Happiness =-.

I am well, thanks for asking. I hope you are enjoying this fine day.

Sometimes you have to shake people up! If that’s what it takes, then I’m qualified to do so, I guess :-)

Self-denial is not a pretty place to live. Maybe for the very short-term, but certainly not for the long-term.

• This post made me realize that I indeed have been lying to myself about taking a more healthy diet.

I personally want to add this: I need to stop lying to myself that I need to have a healthier lifestyle, but I mainly dine on salty and oily foods and alcohol.
    .-= Julius´s last blog ..The Challenges of Blind Internet Users =-.

• Hi Julius,

It’s so easy to fool ourselves. We have all the best intentions in the world, but for whatever reason, it doesn’t turn out that way. It’s nice to just wipe the slate clean, cut out the lies, and start over.

Good luck on your new diet.

• Thanks for your response, Karen.

I agree that it is so easy to lie to ourselves, but as long as we keep on thinking positive and believe that we’ll make it, we can manage to overcome this bad habit.

Thanks also for wishing me well on my change of diet. I think I did a good start over the weekend. :)
        .-= Julius´s last blog ..Why Is Braille on Drive-Through ATMs? =-.

• It’s one thing to say something and wish for it, it’s another thing entirely to take action to make it happen.

Habits are crucial to what we achieve or don’t achieve.

I would add that what we did yesterday, what we do today and what we do tomorrow are not only largely habitually but the actions we take without realising only reinforce those habits.

The only way to stop the rot is to make a radically change and start taking action to make that change happen.

Great post Karen. Thank you
    .-= Ben´s last blog ..Friday’s Homework =-.

• Hi Ben,

“The only way to stop the rot is to make a radically change and start taking action” –> I couldn’t have said it better myself :-)

Sometimes you just have to face up to what’s not working and do something different. Start with the lies you tell yourself and then take action.

• Great article Karen!! I think this is something that we all need to hear. I think in order to change negative habits one must make a conscious decision to make a change. Or else, like you said the same thing that we did yesterday is what we will be doing today and tomorrow, unless a change is made. Thanks for sharing!!
    .-= Jarrod@ Optimistic Journey´s last blog ..When Passion Meets Discouragement, Stay Committed =-.

• Hi Jarrod,

Glad that you enjoyed reading the article. I agree that we all need to listen to what we tell ourselves. I know that we have the best of intentions, but actions speak louder than words. As you say, being conscious is key – consciously deciding to make a change and then acting on that decision.

• Most of the time, it is easy to lie about ourselves than to face the truth. Perhaps it is our way to assuage our disappointments in life. Still, without any attempts of making a change, we would be stuck on our lies. Many times I have lied to myself, and many times I have gotten more miserable. :-)

• Hi Walter,

I’m with you – many times I have lied to myself and thought things were real, when they weren’t. It’s so easy to live in the fantasy world sometimes, rather than face what’s real. You bring up a good point about disappointment – no one likes to consciously feel like they’re a disappointment, but as I said, sometimes you just have to wipe the slate clean and start fresh. Recognizing the lies we tell ourselves and then consciously deciding to change what’s not working in our lives is one step we can take in the right direction.

• Hey Karen,

Found you via Walter. Fab TITLE! Love the repetitions. And so true. We pretend we don’t know “how to” and use that as an excuse. The truth is that we know “how to” and we choose not too because it’s easier to stay in the rut and retell your sad story than change the story to a happy one.

I sing at least one new song at karaoke every week just to keep myself out of the song rut!

Thx,

Giulietta, Inspirational Rebel
    .-= Giulietta´s last blog ..Do you live a permission-based life? =-.

• Welcome Giulietta,

I quite like your blog, too. Great title as well :-)

Yes, it’s so easy to lie to ourselves, but we are really harming our success when we’re not facing reality of our situation. I agree that a lot of the time we know how to do something but choose not to – living a fantasy is so much easier (and nicer). But, it’s a called a rut for a reason and that’s no place to live.

Good for you – keep singing and enjoying your karaoke :-)