50 Inspirational Quotes

Because we can all use some inspiration, here are 50 inspirational quotes with some pictures that I thought were inspiring.

When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, never give up then, for that is just the time that the tide will turn. — Harriet Beecher Stowe

You can’t be brave if you’ve only had wonderful things happen to you. – Mary Tyler Moore

Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got. There is no yesterday, no tomorrow, it’s all the same …. day. – Janis Joplin

Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today? – Mary Manin Morrissey

Evening Sail

Creative Commons License photo credit: John Hann

Dream lofty dreams, and as you dream, so you shall become. Your vision is the promise of what you shall one day be; your ideal is the prophecy of what you shall at last unveil. – James Allen

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. – Reinhold Niebuhr

If one advances confidently in the direction of one’s dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. – Henry David Thoreau

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than
unsuccessful people with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race. – Calvin Coolidge

Primula japonica
Creative Commons License photo credit: -NjuTIKA-

The credit belongs to those who are actually in the arena, who strive valiantly; who know the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spend themselves in a worthy cause; who at the best, know the triumph of high achievement; and who, at the worst, if they fail, fail while daring greatly, so that their place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. – Theodore Roosevelt

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. – Mark Twain

You were born an original. Don’t die a copy. – John Mason

Spring 2010Creative Commons License photo credit: swisscan

Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve. – Mary Kay Ash

Enthusiasm is the best protection in any situation. Wholeheartedness is contagious. Give yourself, if you wish to get others. – David Seabury

Everyone who has ever taken a shower has had an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off, and does something about it that makes a difference. – Nolan Bushnell

Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see the beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they lead. – Louisa May Alcott

Blue SkiesCreative Commons License photo credit: lotus8

I like living. I have sometimes been wildly, despairingly, acutely miserable, racked with sorrow, but through it all I still know quite certainly that just to be alive is a grand thing. – Agatha Christie

I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning to sail my ship. – Louisa May Alcott

If you have made mistakes…there is always another chance for you…you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call “failure” is not the falling down, but the staying down. – Mary Pickford

Siete Azahares (Seven Blossoms)Creative Commons License photo credit: Jason A. Samfield

If your ship doesn’t come in, swim out to it. – Jonathan Winters

It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly. – Mabel Newcomber

Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. – George Bernard Shaw

I am not afraid…I was born to do this. – Joan of Arc

I could not, at any age, be content to take my place by the fireside and simply look on. Life was meant to be lived. Curiosity must be kept alive. One must never, for whatever reason, turn his back on life. – Eleanor Roosevelt

Common jezebel on lantanaCreative Commons License photo credit: NorthernLightz

Live your life each day as you would climb a mountain. An occasional glance towards the summit keeps the goal in mind, but many beautiful scenes are to be observed from each new vantage point. – Harold B. Melchart

Many of our fears are tissue paper thin, and a single courageous step would carry us clear through them. – Brendan Francis

Nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose — a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye. – Mary Shelley

Perseverance is failing nineteen times and succeeding the twentieth. – Julie Andrews

After the StormCreative Commons License photo credit: John Flinchbaugh

The abundant life does not come to those who have had a lot of obstacles removed from their path by others. It develops from within and is rooted in strong mental and moral fiber. – William Mather Lewis

The best way to prepare for life is to begin to live. – Elbert Hubbard

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one. – Mark Twain

Freedom

We are all inventors, each sailing out on a voyage of discovery, guided each by a private chart, of which there is no duplicate. The world is all gates, all opportunities.?– Ralph Waldo Emerson

You must learn day by day, year by year, to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about, the more you have left when anything happens. – Ethel Barrymore

If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought. – Peace Pilgrim

In The Distance

Creative Commons License photo credit: Bobby Chromik ~ Lawcrow

Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold. – Helen Keller

Don’t be afraid your life will end; be afraid that it will never begin. – Grace Hansen

Each morning when I open my eyes I say to myself: I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.  – Groucho Marx

Radiant

Creative Commons License photo credit: Flying Jenny

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these. – George Washington Carver

Creative Commons License photo credit: Greg Vassie

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. – Katharine Hepburn

Let go of your attachment to being right, and suddenly your mind is more open. You’re able to benefit from the unique viewpoints of others, without being crippled by your own judgment. – Ralph Marston

We tend to forget that happiness doesn’t come as a result of getting something we don’t have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have. – Fredrick Koeing

If you want the rainbow, you’ve got to put up with the rain. – Dolly Parton

Mijocama

Creative Commons License photo credit: Phillip Grondin

Mistakes are part of the dues that one pays for a full life. – Sophia Loren

Never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about.  – Author Unknown

The grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. – Allan K. Chalmers

The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any. – Alice Walker

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere. – Agnes Repplier

Deserted pier

Creative Commons License photo credit: rickz

One of the most tragic things I know about human nature is that all of us tend to put off living. We are all dreaming of some magical rose garden over the horizon-instead of enjoying the roses blooming outside our windows today. – Dale Carnegie

Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish. – John Quincy Adams

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost. – Dalai Lama

What’s your favourite inspirational quote? Share with us by leaving a comment below. Thanks!

• Don’t limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve. – Mary Kay Ash

She was a really inspirational entrepreneur and built an empire.

Its obvious you worked hard on this Karen. Awesome job! And wow, so many great quotes!
    .-= Alex Monroe´s last blog ..The Search for the Sexiest Entrepreneurs =-.

• Thanks, Alex. It was a lot of work gathering the quotes and pictures, but I thought it would be very inspirational to people so it was worth it.

You’re right – she is a very inspiring woman.

Glad that you liked it (there’s more coming tomorrow) :-)

• I loved this, Karen. There were several new ones on here I hadn’t run across before, and that doesn’t happen often since I’m a quote junkie. One of my favorites is, ‘You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose,” by Dr. Seuss.
    .-= Jean Sarauer´s last blog ..The True Story Behind Virgin Blogger Note’s New Look =-.

• Hi Jean,

I’m happy that you found some new inspirational quotes from the ones I picked out. There so many that it was hard to do (so I have more coming tomorrow).

I really like that quote from Dr. Seuss and guess what? I haven’t heard of that one before so you gave something back today :-) Thank you.

• this is very nice Karen, sorry i have been busy building my site for my singing…take care.

• Hi Purple,

No problem – take care of yourself and I hope your singing brings you joy. I already know that it brings you meaning.

Hope you are having a wonderful day.

• There were a few more I liked, but this one is awesome: “You were born an original. Don’t die a copy. – John Mason”
    .-= Moon Hussain´s last blog ..Fun Friday Round-Up: OMG I’m Less Than 3 Weeks From My Move! =-.

• Hi Moon,

I like that one, too. There are some variations on that quote, but I thought Mason summed it up pretty good.

Good luck with your move. Not much time left now, eh?

Thanks for contributing,

• Now I’m all fired up, Karen. Great pictures and great words, from some pretty great people. It’s always nice when someone takes the time to put it all together for us like one big shot of adrenaline. Thanks for the boost!
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..7-Week Life Cleanse: Creating Time & Space in Week 1 =-.

• Welcome Katie,

So glad that you liked the quotes and the pictures. I had fun picking them out from Flickr (it was really hard to choose the quotes and the pictures), but if it helps people find some inspiration for their day, then it was worth it! :-)

Great post~ really energizing!
    I actually loved quite a number out of the fifty but the one that caught my eye immediately was this one:

Everyone who has ever taken a shower has had an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off, and does something about it that makes a difference. – Nolan Bushnell

This is my favorite. If I had a nickel for all the ideas I’ve had in the shower….you know the rest.
    Thanks so much for this!

• Welcome Angela,

Isn’t that so true? We all can come up with great ideas, but it’s those of us who act on the ideas that succeed. If only we acted upon a fraction of the great ideas that we get in the shower, who knows where we would be? :-)

• Anthony Robbins, you’re OUT, Karen you’re IN! Fantastic post and I really appreciate all the work that went into this one too! You have definitely made my top ten blogs to visit list and I thankyou for the contiunued inspiration.
    My favourite q
    .-= Alex´s last blog ..Shattering the Duplicate Content Myth =-.

• whoops, accidentlaly hit enter – where was I?
    My favourite quote is “Man cannot discover new oceans until he has the courage to lose sight of the shore” Not sure who it is by but it reminds me that I have to face the unknown and let go of what I know if I want things to change. Kind of links in with my favourite quote of all time which is “Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change”
    Thanks again Karen
    .-= Alex´s last blog ..Shattering the Duplicate Content Myth =-.

• Hi Alex,

My GoogleFu says that your quote is from Andre Gide. Who knew? :-)

Thanks so much for the kind words and I’m really happy that you enjoyed the quotes and pictures. I hope they were inspiring.

• I’m going to steal one straight off your list from Mr. Mark Twain: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.”

I couldn’t have said it better myself! When I think back over the last few years, I’ve got more regrets about the things I wish I’d done than about the things I’ve done incorrectly.
    .-= Steve Scott Site´s last blog ..Please Do Me a Favor… =-.

• Hi Steve,

I know what you mean about the regrets. I try not to live with them, but they find me somehow! I really like that quote as well. We can never have too many reminders to enjoy and say yes to our lives.

• “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.” Soooo true Karen, I love this quote

Thanks for sharing :)
    .-= Dia´s last blog ..How to attract people =-.

• Hi Dia,

Looks like that quotes quite popular! Funny that you both you and Steve mentioned that one.

• I’ve got to say Karen, I do love quotes, so thank’s for sharing some great ones here. I do like the Dolly Parton one, that really made me smile. Of this list though I do like:

“Everyone who has ever taken a shower has had an idea. It’s the person who gets out of the shower, dries off, and does something about it that makes a difference”. – Nolan Bushnell

So very true. But one of my all time favourites if from Mao “Even a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step”.

It’s all about taking action and these quotes give the inspiration to do that little bit more.

thanks, Matthew
    .-= Matthew Needham´s last blog ..How to write your ebook (part 4) =-.

• It looks like there’s a couple of quotes that everyone can agree on as very inspirational, Matthew. Those are qreat quotes and I’m glad that you enjoyed the series.

• Great selection of quotes. Its funny, no matter how many times I read quotes, I still get new insights and inspiration. I think they are so powerful because you are able to extract years worth of wisdom from someone in just a few short words. There is something very intriguing about that.

Nice post as always
    .-= Justin Popovic´s last blog ..Don’t Wait for Permission to Succeed =-.

• Hi Justin,

I agree that some of them are so powerful and that they can ‘hit the spot’ when we particularly need some inspiration in our lives. Reading someone else’s words and knowing that they understand what we’re going through helps us tremendously.

• hi karen,
    again i’m challenged karen.
    thanks for sharing this.
    i find dolly partons quote filled with lots of meaning but i love Louisa May Alcott’s ‘I’m not afraid of storms, for I’m learning to sail my ship’ best because it summarizes my life in a sentence.
    take care and enjoy the rest of the day
    .-= ayo´s last blog ..How To Have Arguments In A Relationship (A Male’s Perspective) =-.

Thanks so much and I hope you are having a fantastic week. It’s almost the weekend so we can be recharged then :-)

I hope we are all learning to sail our ships into safe harbours.

Karn

Oh my what a wonderful post!

If you are not inspired after reading half of what you got, you need to check your pulse. I love how you mixed the sources up. Being a fanatic of Muhammad Ali, anything he says is always my favorite. Thanks for including my namesake!

Cheers!

- Ali

• Thanks, S. Ali. You’re welcome.

Ali is definitely a very inspiring person and I had to include The Champ here :-)

• Hi Ruby,
    What a pleasure to find your site today. I was referred to you by Alex whalley..and I am so glad I took his advice.
    My twenty cents worth that you may already have in your HUGE arsenal of quotes is “People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care!”

Personal development is a real interest of mine.
    In my “previous lives” as a teacher, business owner/manager and finally running a international business consultancy personal growth and development of myself and everyone around me what the REAL reason I got out of bed each day!
    Now I am retired, living in Thailand but have decided to start another page in my life – an online business. Why? Because I want to try and see if I can help others make a success of this by watching and sharing how I tackle this latest challenge! Hopefully I will learn enough to help my other passion in life – our small Thai village website that sells Thai silk. Apologies for the length but your blog really got to me. Thanks for all the inspirations – have already subscribed to your newsletter. Good luck with your business Ruby.
    .-= Peter Beckenham´s last blog ..Affiliate Marketing – Sell the In-Demand Products First =-.

• Welcome Peter!

Alex has a great site so I’m glad that you came over from there and were inspired today.

It sounds as if you have a lot of experience to draw from and I’m sure that your wisdom will be very much appreciated online. That’s great that you are giving back and helping your community with your knowledge. No matter where you go, personal development can help anyone as we are really all the same and want the best lives for ourselves.

Good luck with your Thai silk business. I saw on TV a while ago that it’s all made by hand and is such a delicate process. It’s wonderful.

• A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination and hard work…………….,Job Well Done.
    Thanks for sharing

• My favourite is, never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about! Thank you so much :)