Five Ways To Add Connection To Your Life

Following my recent article about The Seven Friends You Need In Your Life, here are some ways that we can add connection to our lives.

I know that I can get into a rut of coming home from work and pounding away on the computer all evening or watching some TV to relax me. Quality time with friends and family can fall by the wayside when we are feeling overwhelmed or stressed and are just going through the motions of daily life. It’s so easy to feel a disconnect from other people. This can result in feeling isolated and disconnected from others. But, we can take some easy actions to re-connect with people.

Here are Five Ways To Add Connection To Your Life

1. Instead of sitting passively watching TV or reading books, try connecting with your family and friends with experiences. Go see a live play, rather than sitting in a dark movie theatre. Go have a picnic rather than sitting at a restaurant. Go see a live band that you’ve always wanted to see with your best friend, rather than sitting listening to the latest CD. Don’t be passive; take active participation in activities that you enjoy. Invite others and make memories.

2. Volunteer your time or join a charity run/walk event. Connect with others who have the same goal as you and who want to give back to their communities. Meet some new people at these events and enjoy the feelings that come with giving and connecting to great causes.

3. Experiment with other cultures and people that you’ve always found fascinating. Connect with people and customs that you’ve always wanted to. Take a Spanish night course or learn feng shui from a Master or learn how to salsa dance. Be daring and adventurous. Don’t be afraid of looking silly. Learning about other cultures and customs is one of the best ways to realize that we are all connected and have the same fears and wants.

4. Perform random acts of kindness. Why not see how often you can make someone’s day. It doesn’t take much to smile and be kind to people that are in our lives. Why not do a favour for a friend or perform unexpected acts of kindness, such as buy the person behind you in line their coffee or drop some coins in the parking meters. Tell someone how nice they look today. Connect with people that randomly come into your life – you never know where it may lead.

5. Rediscover your spirituality. If you’ve lost your way and have allows life’s trials and tribulations to affect your connections with other people, take time out to rediscover your spirituality. Meditate, read, reflect, and gain perspective on what’s important in your life. More importantly, on who’s important in your life. Make them and your connection to them your priority. Ask them what they need from you to re-connect and then listen to what they say. Then, together, find your way back to strengthen the bonds between you.

How do you add connection to your life? How do you re-connect with your loved ones when you’ve realized that life has gotten in the way of your connections? Let us know by leaving a comment. Thanks!

1. Top 5 Reasons To Leave Your Job
2. My Top 5 Secret Success Factors
3. Invest In Your Most Important Asset – Yourself
4. 10 Things You Can Do Right Now To Improve Your Life
5. Are You Being Your True Authentic Self?

• Hi Karen.
    Awesome tips here. I definitely feel more connected over all since I have found a spirituality that hasn’t alienated me the way most do. Though I am far from being a practitioner of this belief system, its nice to have a belief system again! I will have to pick some of these and try them out in the coming days, though I am pretty well versed in random acts of kindness. They are a lot of fun.
    .-= Gurl´s last blog ..The Asylum Report Card: May 2010 =-.

• Hi, Jenn

Thanks for your comment. I agree that we can feel disconnected from our spirituality if we don’t keep in mind our higher purpose for being here. It’s not to be isolated and alone – but to have relationships with other people. We’re all connected really.

• Hey Karen, these are some great ways to add connection to people. Recently, I’ve been get out of my comfort zone by actually interviewing people around the world. I think some of these things that you mention do require us to get out of our comfort zone, but the thing is once you do, it does feel a lot better and it teaches you lessons as well. I appreciate these tips from you and will keep them in mind to improve my connections with other people. Thanks Karen!
    .-= Hulbert Lee´s last blog ..Kim Maglinti – Blogger and Creator of Mindset Success Coaching (Interview) =-.

• Hi Hulbert,

We can get so comfortable in our ruts sometimes that we don’t realize our small our worlds have become. Getting out and interviewing people and getting to know people from around the world is a great step to connecting again. I’m looking forward to reading about your interviews.

Great post. I particularly like number 4 as it reminds me of what my parents taught me: Respect for your elders. This plays out by giving up my seat on trains and buses for other people less able than I am. I did this yesterday on a train into London and the smile I got in return was enough reward. Not enough of this these days.

Adrian
    .-= Adrian Swinscoe´s last blog ..Your Business Growth 6-Monthly Check-Up =-.

• Hi Adrian,

If more people did random acts of kindness, the world would be a better place. You are doing your part – thank you :-)

• I hardly ever watch tv anymore, and this has made a huge difference in the quality of my relationships. I’ve gotten a lot more active and involved in things such as book clubs and local volunteer opportunities, as well as just taking more time to be intentional about activities with people in my life. I’ve also used facebook as a means of connecting with friends I’d fallen out of touch with, and some fun outings have sprung up from this.
    .-= Jean Sarauer´s last blog ..6 Things That Get Easier About Blogging if You Just Keep Going =-.

• Hi Jean,

Where do you get the time to do all that? :-) I know, we make time for those things in life that are important to us.

It sounds like you’ve re-connected with friends from your past – that’s fantastic. It’s interesting to get caught up in each other’s lives again. This has happened to me recently, too, on FB. A friend that I went to college with reconnected with me and we’ve been getting together and enjoying each other’s company again.

• Not one of these mention social media. And that’s great! For ‘real’ connections I still believe in face-to-face, flesh and blood people interaction.
    Great post Karen.
    .-= Hal Brown´s last blog ..Google, Facebook Privacy – Who Did What? =-.

• Hi Hal,

No. For some reason typing away at my computer and looking at the words on the computer monitor doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feelings that I get when I actually have a face-to-face conversation with a live friend.

Social media comes a poor second. But, we can use it to make an initial contact with people and then make more meaningful connections when/if we meet with them in person.

• I personally make sure I do one fun thing I absolutely want to do each day of my life no matter what. That alone makes me feel good and I rediscover parts of my inner self that I may have forgotten by memories I get or feelings that come to me.

There’s other ways I handle this also but that’s one of the best ways.
    .-= Eric´s last blog ..Lets Help Each Other: Monthly Experience (April – May) =-.

• Hi Eric,

With a new baby, I can totally understand the fun factor and enjoying being with her. :-)

It sounds as if you have your priorities in life.

How do you do it? :)

I actually took time away from the computer to balance and connect and I felt that I fell behind online and missed out on lots of great posts — lol. I quickly forgave myself as I thoroughly enjoyed connecting with others offline. I’ve noted your contributions and presence — you’re remarkable!

Your ideas are wonderful. They make for a great ‘to do list,’ if you ask me :)

Take care,
    Kim
    .-= Kim´s last blog ..Overcoming Fear =-.

• HI Kim,

I don’t know how I do it. It all sorts of happens by magic :-)

Oh, I know that feeling. If you take a well-deserved break if feels like everyone moved on without you while you weren’t looking. But, that’s okay as we all are on our own paths – it’s not a race.

Thank you for your kind words. You’ve really inspired me as well – you’re doing a wonderful job and are helping a lot of people.

• Hey Karen,

Thank you for the reminder that it’s ok to occasionally step away from the blogging world and actually connect with others in real time. This is something I continue to struggle with but know I am making daily progress with.

I really like how you specify having experiences with friends over experiences. Sometimes friends with recommend hanging out and watching a movie, but that doesn’t allow you to interact at all! Like you said, it’s simply a passive act.

Take care,
    Ben

• Hi Ben,

Yes, it can be so easy to just have some friends over to watch the latest episode or a movie, but that is kind of a passive experience to have. There are far better ways to actually connect with people and getting off the computer is a great first step. It’s important to keep the people in our lives in the forefront, otherwise we might turn around and they’re no longer there.

• Thanks karen for this very nice post. In regards to step 3, I think experiencing with other cultures is crucial as we get to learn new customs and the way they do things, the way they behave, etc…
    .-= Dia´s last blog ..What should I do with my life? =-.

• Hi Dia,

Yes, it’s amazing how similar we really are underneath. We all have the same fears and wants. Being open-minded and exploring other cultures, even if it’s as easy as eating in an ethnic restaurant can open your eyes (and taste buds) to culturally rich experiences. It’s a huge world out there and you limit youself if you don’t at least attempt to experience other cultures.

• Hello Karen, This is my first visit to your blog. I want to thank you for all your hard work and your dedication to wanting to help others lead a meaningful life. I love the idea of this post – making meaningful connections instead of turning on the tube or opening the computer. Wishing you successful blogging.
    .-= Sandra Lee´s last blog ..An exercise in non-meditation =-.

• Welcome Sandra,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and for checking out the site. I’m glad that you enjoyed the article. I agree that turning off the TV is necessary, plus it gets easier the more we do it.

The key is knowing that connecting with people in your life is more important than passive entertainment.

• Karen, lovely tips on connecting — and not with our computers. Yes, real live people are so easy to forget when we’re immersed in our online worlds. I try to eat meals with my family, go for walks and runs together, and every Sunday we have brunch and talk. It’s like a date for my husband and I. We cherish it. Inspirational as always, Karen.
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..How To Dance Through Life =-.

• Thanks, Katie. I’m glad that you were inspired by the article, even though it sounds like you have your priorities straight by spending meals with your family and spending Sundays talking. Date nights are really important for relationships.

• Ah Karen, great post. I would love to start volunteering.. and I think to perform random acts of kindness is for someone who is bigger than everything. It takes a special person and I hope to become that person soon.
    .-= Moon Hussain´s last blog ..How I Added 200+ People On Twitter Within 2 Weeks =-.

• Hi Moon, it doesn’t cost anything to volunteer or to perform random acts of kindness. Plus, please know that you are already a special person today. :-)

• Forgiveness is one of the most important although be it difficult ways to reconnect.
    All of us have good relationships in our lives and sometimes, an arguement or misunderstanding has broken these relationships.
    I myself know a few people whom I never talk to anymore, and your post made me realize that maybe, it’s time to make that first step towards reconnecting with them.
    .-= Julius´s last blog ..The Challenges of Deaf Blind Internet Users =-.

• Hi Julius,

I hope it all goes well with you and reconnecting, if you choose to follow through. From personal experience, I’ve learned to distance myself from the result – that is to say, if it doesn’t happen as I would like it to go, then that’s okay and I don’t take things personally. There may be reasons for the disconnect that still is relevant today. We all move on in our lives. On the other hand, there has been times when a reconnection is made and it’s been wonderful to have that person back in my life again. I wish you nothing but the best.

• Karen, Great advice! Especially about not sitting in front of the damn TV or computer all the time!

Volunteering is also a good way to get out and meet people.

Come to think of it while I love all my blogging friends, I do miss seeing an actual real live person. Thanks for reminding me that I need to turn off the computer once in a while to make real connections!
    .-= Angela Artemis´s last blog ..Would Your Rather Have a Big House Or A Big Life? =-.

• Hi Angela,

I know! We can get into the trap of plopping down in front of the TV and being mindlessly entertained. Much better to get off the couch, call your friends and have a ‘live’ experience with someone else.

• Hey Karen,

Good post! My favorite was number 1. I made a conscious effort to change my relationships with people from passive things to active and it has made lfie so much more interesting. Plus, not a whole lot of people really do that so you are able to build more satisfying and unique relationships with people that aren’t stale or boring.

Good insights!

Peace,
    Darren L Carter
    .-= Darren L Carter´s last blog ..Experiments in Lifestyle Design: Internet Business from Rural Japan =-.

• Hey Darren,

That’s wonderful that you made the decision consciously and have enriched your life and your relationships. Being exposed to new ideas and people is a fantastic way to not having a stale life. Making the effort is the key.

• Hi Karen, found your blog from Mark’s recommendation in a post I just read.

I must admit I am big fan of random acts of kindness, restores your faith in the world, there are still lots of nice people out there.

Trying new things is a high priority right now and hopefully will take me on a path to meeting lots of new people and widening my horizons.

Sally :)
    .-= Sally´s last blog ..Sally Neill 2010 =-.

• Welcome Sally,

Mark from icebluebanana has a wonderful blog and thank you for taking the time to check out my site.

Yes, performing (and receiving) an act of kindness from other does restore our faith. People are basically kind (in my world viewpoint) and are willing to be kind, if you give them an opportunity to show it.

Good luck with trying new things – that’s a fantastic way to meet new people and to live a meaningful life.

• Great ideas Karen. The first suggestion about doing something together as an experience has been amazing for me in terms of connection. As an example, I took an afternoon off a few months ago to join my wife and 3 year old son to see a local school drama class perform Beauty and the Beast.

It was one of the best experiences of my 3 year old’s life so far! He was blown away by the music, sights and sounds.

Now he talks about it and watches the DVD of Beauty and the Beast all the time. We have a great time reminiscing about that day. Yeah, I missed a couple of potential appointments with clients but I would give up 100 appointments to get more experiences like that one.
    .-= Justin Popovic´s last blog ..Everything Has an Opposite =-.

• Oh, Justin, that’s a wonderful experience that both your son and you will treasure for years to come. It’s wonderful that you have your priorites straight in life and that while your business is super-important, your family is more so.

• Random acts of kindness are an amazing way of connecting, for all involved. I often think it’s a privilege to be able to perform such an act, because for me the return on investment is always so high. What a lovely post, thanks for sharing.
    .-= Claire – Gratitude Connection´s last blog ..Today I’m grateful for… =-.

• Welcome Claire,

Thank you so much for your lovely comment and I agree that random acts of kindness can really help wih connecting to not only yourself, but with those around you. It just makes you feel good, regardless of whether anyone else appreciate it. Do it for yourself and let the outcome be what it is.

• Hi Karen, I used to go out and try and connect. But I found that I missed home, and so I went there and felt better. Now I try not to leave much at all.. :)
    .-= Brandon Connell | Make Money Blogging´s last blog ..CONTEST: FREE ADVERTISING – DEADLINE June 27th, 2010 =-.

• Hi Brandon,

There’s nothing wrong with being a hermit, if that’s what you want in life. You can also try connecting with people to bring them to your house for activities, if you don’t want to leave your nest.

I can relate because sometimes if it was’t for work, I wouldn’t leave my place, too. But, you miss out on a lot if you have such a smal circle of relationships. It’s a big world out there and has lots to offer us.

• hi karen,
    how are you again?
    thanks for sharing these tips and i would have to agree with hal on no mention of social media here lol!!! On a lighter note rediscovering my spirituality and performing random acts of kindness have really brought sparkles to my life.
    take care and enjoy the rest of the day

No – it’s because we need to step away from the social media and talk to real, live, in the flesh people sometimes. :-)

I hope your day has been a wonderful one.

• The way I think of what you are talking about in this post is living as a purposeful being. Part of that is being comfortable with yourself, and finding that which adds fulfillment. Another part is developing meaningful relationships, which require deep connections. I enjoyed the post. Thanks!
    .-= Chris Akins´s last blog ..Dealing with difficult situations (and people)… =-.

• Welcome Chris,

Thanks so much for the comment and I’m glad that you enjoyed the post. You’re right that we need to learn to be comfortable with ourselves and have a purpose. It makes having relationships all the more meaningful if we are living an authentic life.