100 Things That Make Me Happy

Tulips

Happiness is a choice and we all deserve to be happy. At any moment in our lives, we can change our mindset and choose to be happy.

One way that we can use to be happy is by creating a list of things that make us happy. This is a great motivational tool that we can use when we are feeling down. Just pick something from your list when you need to feel happy or just need a pick-me-up.

Of course, what makes me happy will not be the same as what makes you happy. Only you can answer the question of ‘What Makes You Happy?”

I thought that I would share with you my own personal list (in no particular order).

Here are 100 Things That Make Me Happy.

1. Chocolate. I am a woman, after all :-)

2. Having a sense of purpose in life.

3. Having a family that loves me no matter what and knowing that they will be there for me when I need them.

4. Knowing that my Mom is being taken care of.

5. Knowing that I can afford to support myself and be independent.

6. Having friends who put up with me, even though I drive them crazy sometimes

7. Being able to write articles that touch other people.

8. Buying any book that I want, whenever I want to.

9. Taking the time to read my favourite books over and over and over again with no interruptions.

10. Taking up writing again and publishing articles on my own site.

11. Publishing an article that I worked really hard writing.

12. Learning something new.

13. Helping someone solve a problem in their life, especially if it’s something that has been an issue for a long time.

14. Being given a compliment, particularly when I’m feeling down.

15. Having someone say Yes to me when I was sure that they would say No.

16. Being debt-free and not owing any money to anyone.

17. Going to see a movie with my best friend.

18. Being asked for advice because someone respects my opinion.

19. Sleeping in on a Saturday morning and not having any firm plans for the day.

20. It makes me happy knowing that I’ve travelled to some places in the world that others haven’t.

21. Going for a walk with no destination in mind.

22. Knowing that I have invested in my future and my retirement funds are growing daily.

23. Watching HDTV on my big screen LCD TV.

24. Receiving money in the mail or my Paypal account unexpectedly.

25. Watching The Mummy and The Mummy Returns back-to-back. They are two of my favourite movies.

26. Getting an email from a reader telling me how something I’ve written has helped them.

27. An unexpected hug from a family member.

28. Smelling freshly-mown grass and feeling it under my bare feet.

29. Being pleasantly surprised by someone special.

30. Doing what I want, when I want to.

31. Travelling to Las Vegas every year makes me happy and it gives me something to look forward to.

32. Going out to dinner with friends.

33. Receiving flowers, particularly my favourites – tulips.

34. Getting an unexpected bonus at work.

35. Working on my site and knowing that I’m making a difference.

36. Receiving a phone call from a friend out of the blue and talking to them for hours.

37. Looking out my balcony and just enjoying the street scene below.

38. Knowing that I graduated university and that no one can take my credentials away from me since I accomplished them.

39. Going on a picnic on a nice warm summer day.

40. Being responsible for my own happiness. It’s kind of circular, I know. But, it’s also true.

41. Knowing that I am not just sitting around, but am actively working on creating a better future.

42. Going outside and enjoying nature.

43. Calling someone who I’ve been thinking of and making their day.

44. Listening to some jazz music on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

45. Being asked to guest-post on other sites. It makes me happy to be asked.

46. Attending a concert of one of my favourite singers.

47. Going swimming and feeling the water all around me.

48. Attending birthday parties and celebrating with friends and family.

49. Being appreciated at work and feeling that what I do makes a difference.

50. Having supportive friends who give me great advice when I particularly need it.

51. Having clean, crisp sheets on my bed.

52. Being inside when there’s a thunderstorm outside. Being able to watch thunder and lightning and seeing the majesty of mother nature.

53. Recognizing some Spanish phrases from my two Spanish night-courses and being able to speak it a little bit.

54. Getting a letter in the mail from a friend.

55. Having a guest-post published on my site and it receiving a great response.

56. Being appreciated for who I am and not what I can give.

57. Going on a long bike ride.

58. Knowing that I can book a plane ride back to Toronto and stay with friends any time I want to.

59. Looking at the posters that I brought back from Rome, Paris, and Boston hanging on my walls.

60. Reliving some of the moments I spent travelling with my friends.

61. Going on a road trip with my friends.

62. Decorating my home the way that I want it decorated and painted.

63. Being with my friends, just enjoying each other’s company.

64. Making dinner for people that I love.

65. Going camping for a long weekend.

66. Going to my favourite sushi place for lunch.

67. Three and four-day long weekends.

68. Having all my bills paid.

69. Having money in my chequing, savings, and investment accounts.

70. Eating ice cream, particularly Haagen Dazs.

71. Having a clean apartment.

72. Attending night school and learning something that I’ve always been interested in.

73. Realizing that what I thought was so hard years ago, didn’t turn out to be so hard after all.

74. Having the courage to move cities and jobs and not be stuck or settle.

75. Knowing that no matter what, I will figure things out.

76. Being able to give things to my family.

77. My new MacBook Pro computer and knowing that it’s paid for.

78. Going through my digital pictures and remembering all the great memories associated with the pictures.

79. Laughing with my friends and just being silly.

80. Seeing fireworks live, rather than on TV.

81. Writing on my next ebook and knowing that it can help so many more people.

82. Having a fully-funded emergency fund and being prepared, just in case.

83. Doing something that I thought I would never get the courage to do.

84. My online friends and the support they give me.

85. Dressing up and making an effort on my appearance makes me feel confident, which makes me feel happy.

86. Working out and feeling my sore muscles the next day. Knowing that I’m doing something for my health makes me happy.

87. Looking at my vision board and knowing that I’ve already accomplished some things that are on there.

88. Going to the grocery store and buying my favourite foods, and not caring what they cost.

89. Coming up with the perfect word when I’m struggling with my writing.

90. Getting great feedback from the readers of my site.

91. Seeing people share my articles with others.

92. Watching my favourite cartoons, especially episodes that I haven’t seen before.

93. Reading a new book and being wonderfully surprised at good it was and then sharing it with my friends.

94. Walking to work through the grounds of the Legislature Building with the water fountain, green grass, and beautiful statues every weekday.

95. Learning from my past mistakes and growing as a person.

96. Giving what I can to other people who are less fortunate than I am.

97. A good night’s sleep.

98. Being creative and making something crafty with my hands.

99. Getting out my paints, brushes and easel and just starting to paint.

100. It makes me happy knowing that I don’t have any major health concerns, unlike so many others.

This is my personal list of what makes me happy.

Create your own list and share with us one or two things that make you happy.

• Very impressive list. Family is very important to me as well along with chocolate lol.
    .-= Vik Dulat´s last blog ..Spotlight Sunday 3 =-.

• Hahaha, I sense a theme here, Vik :-)

• awesome.

• Karen, what a great list. #1 and #2 are huge for me. Chocolate and purpose. What more does a gal need. Running makes me happy, swimming and my daughter’s cute, unstoppable smile.
    .-= Katie´s last blog ..A Simple Guide to Eating Like a Human =-.

• Hey Katie. It sounds like you’re off to a great list. No one says that we have to have 100 things – your list sounds perfect to me as is so far.

• Very cool. It is amazing how much you can learn from someone when you look at a list like this. Imagine if employers asked for a list like this instead of a resume when they were looking to hire. Interviews would take on a whole new meaning…. but also be WAY more fun and interesting :)
    .-= Justin Popovic´s last blog ..Who Supports Your Dreams… My Biggest Supporter =-.

• Hi Justin,

That’s an interesting point of view. Too bad you’re not part of the corporate culture anymore and can’t suggest it :-)

I am usually pretty leery about sharing too much personal information on the net, but I needed the list to be somewhere close at hand, especially when I need it. Plus, i thought I would spark off other people to create their own list for when they need to feel some happiness.

• Hahaha, I also love The Mummy and The Mummy Returns!! People never seem understand when I mention that.

I loved your list Karen. Just reading some of simpler things that you make you happy brought a smile to my face. =)

Take care

• Hi Ben,

I hesitated to put them here, but you know what? I do love those two movies and it makes me happy when I put them in the DVD player or when I come across them unexpectedly playing on TV. I just gotta watch when they come on. :-)

I’m happy that I brought a smile to your face :-)

• I love your appreciations, Karen. The more we appreciate the myriad abundance in our lives the more abundance we attract. I have made it a habit to give 3 appreciations a day. One for all the things I know I appreciate (good health… nice weather.) One for something I take for granted (Wow! running water… electricity!) And, one for the future I am creating that is not here yet but is on the way (I love being a best-selling author!)
    .-= rob white´s last blog ..Life Mastery 101 =-.

• Hey Rob,

It sometimes hits me how much we take for granted, especially when we see on the news how other parts of the world are struggling. Can you imagine not having running water or being able to flush or not just flipping a switch to have light?

I love your idea to future-project your happiness when something you really want comes true. Good luck on the best-selling book :-)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

• Wow, you’ve really thought about this Karen. And why not? We often think about what annoys or worries us all the time so why not some space for the happy stuff? I find two things that always lift my spirits – a family meal together and being loved for who I am. I’m in outer space when I experience them. But you are quite right that there are at least 100 pieces of happiness in our life, most probably millions. But first you need to recognise them. I’m happy to say you’ve helped me remember some of mine.
    .-= John Sherry´s last blog ..How To Flip It And Win =-.

• Hi John,

At first I was struggling to come up with the 100 things, but even after I hit the publish button, I was thinking of the other things that I forgot to include. You’re right that we can come up with so many things that make us happy – we have no excuses to wallow or feel bad.

• Loved, loved, loved your list! Morning coffee makes me happy (makes the people around me happy too!). Being outside watching clouds is a biggie too. And if you ever want to guest post, I’d be happy about that too :)
    .-= Jean Sarauer´s last blog ..How The Daily Brainstorm Will Rock Your Blog =-.

• I knew I forgot something! Thanks for the reminder, Jean. I love a great morning cup of coffee, too :-)

Ditto – any time you have a stellar article, send it over :-)

• This is quite a long list Karen, but I can happily say that it’s well worth reading. You have reminded me of things that I forgot but I know can make me happy.

Before reading your list, I thought to myself “Oh, I can only think of 5 or 10 things that can make me happy”, but after reading your post, I realize that I personally can find happiness in even the smallest events and things.
    .-= Julius´s last blog ..VOCAs- Assistive Technology for People with Speech Impairments =-.

• Hi Julius,

I hope you started writing down your own list, using mine as inspiration. You can refer to what makes you happy when you need to feel better and change your mindset.

You don’t have to come up with 100, but if you only have 5 things that make you happy, then I would suggest exploring a little more to uncover what else in this world that can make you happy. Of course, it’s all about internal validation for happiness and we all have within ourselves to be happy at any moment. Having a list just helps us to remember when we need it.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts,

• Thanks for your reply Karen. Yes, I’ve started to list down the things that make me happy, and this activity has itself made me feel glad!
        It’s really good to appreciate the small things in our lives that cause joy.

• I’m glad to help, Julius. You deserve happiness in your life as you really are making a difference in so many other people’s lives.

I loved this list. I think it’s one of the best list posts I ever read – simply because it’s so personal and reveals a lot about you! I could relate to many. many things on your list too. It sounds like you have a blessed life – which is wonderful also.

I loved that you love walking into a bookstore and being able to buy any book you want!

Thanks for sharing this one with us!

• Hi Angela,

Thanks so much for your kind words and I’m happy that it resonated with you.

Yes, I am an avid reader and I don’t spend a lot of money on my vices – but, if I want a book or two or five, then I buy them. It’s partly an investment in myself and partly as inspiration (oh and a part for pure entertainment, too). You never know when you will read something that will literally change your life.

• Awesome post, really! I purchased a hand-made journal back in January and I still haven’t written in it… I get scared thinking I’m gonna mess up this great journal! BUT after reading this post I decided that a things that make me happy list would be a great use.

Now I’m excited about it and can hardly wait to get started.

Thanks!
    .-= Yolanda Facio´s last blog ..It’s Coming… =-.

• Hi Yolanda,

Oh, I definitely think it’s time you cracked that journal open and started writing in it. Because it’s such an awesome journal, you’ll have to write very inspirational and meaningful things in it.

I’m glad that the post inspired you to start writing your own list in the journal.

Thanks so much for stopping by,

• HA. I like chocolate, though I must admit, it would not be #1 on my list. A good night’s sleep – there is one I could use right about now. Though, for me a sense of accomplishment (which you mentioned in two ways) is the big one. Perhaps it is cultural or because of my family, but I really enjoy finishing something and doing a good job. It does not happen all of the time of course, but it is really nice when it does.

Have a great day Karen.
    .-= mark´s last blog ..How to Determine If You Use Your Time Wisely =-.

• Hi Mark,

Ha, I did say that it was in no particular order (although chocolate would definitely be in the top 10 for me). :-)

I think we all could use a good night’s sleep these days. Let’s hope we get one soon :-)

• Karen:

This was a great exercise for me. Thank you so much. I have not finished my top 100 list yet but I am well on my way.

My #1 is spending time with my family. I should probably make it more detailed but it’s good for now.

Thanks again!

- Rick
    .-= Rick Byrd´s last blog ..New Giveaway Events for July =-.

• Welcome Rick,

As I told Julius, you don’t have to come up with 100. if you can only think of 20 or 50, then that’s okay, too. It’s something that is very personal and no one else has to see it. It’s things that make you happy. My ‘things’ aren’t very detailed either, but they mean something to me when I read them – which is the whole point! :-)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I’m sure a lot of people would agree with your #1, too.

• wow!! karen,
    how are you?
    it’s a full list you have here and it’s amazing how you recognised each one and the importance each plays in your life.
    take care and enjoy the rest of the day
    .-= ayo´s last blog ..The Sixth Edition Of The Life Skills Magazine Is Out Now- =-.

• Thanks, Ayo. I hope you are having an awesome day, too and I hope that this sparked some ideas for you.

• Your list is a great idea!

I’ve talked about the importance of “bucket lists” quite a few times on my site, and I think this is a good companion to a bucket list. Write a list of things you want to do throughout your life (the bucket list) and write a list of things that you already do or have done (things that make you happy.)
    .-= Steve Scott Site´s last blog ..Your Time Really IS Money =-.

• Wow! What a really great list. I Think this is an excellent idea. Including in Wednesday Wisdom!
    .-= Matthew Needham´s last blog ..How to grow your business part 10 =-.

• Thanks, Matthew.

I think you can add quite a few things to your own list, too, no? :-) Especially lately.

• Nice list Karen! It’s so true that if we focus our thoughts on the things that make us happy in life, then it’s natural to feel happy. Sounds so simple yet people make it more complicated than it is. I like how you started out with chocolate and finished with health. It was kind of ironic because chocolate is bad for your health… but a little bit never hurts. ;) Thanks for this. Go Karen!

• Thanks, Hulbert. It is a very simple exercise that I think if more people took the time to do would make them very happy and they would appreciate what they have.

This is a fantastic list and not something I have seen before but I like it. I have seen and completed a 100 dreams/wishes list but never 100 things that I am grateful for. Very cool. Thank you.

Adrian
    .-= Adrian Swinscoe´s last blog ..Social Media and Bringing Projects to Life Across Geographies =-.

• Hi Adrian,

Thanks for stopping by and I’m glad that I’ve inspired you. I hope you get a chance to complete your own 100 Things That Make Me Happy.

• I bet you felt really good after writing that list. It is a great idea to raise your spirits and make you appreciate all the wonderful things that you can do to make yourself happy.
    I am off to make my own list

.-= Marion Anderson´s last blog ..The ONE Lesson I Wish I had Learned Sooner in Life =-.

• Welcome Marion,

I did feel good :-) I got stuck around #50, but then really stopped to think what makes me happy and I had to think back through some memories for things that have made me happy in the past that I haven’t done for a while. It’s inspired me to try and incorporate them more often in my life.

That’s fantastic that you’ll be creating your own list. Way to go!

These are wonderful suggestions and wow 100 of them! Here are a few of mine that makes mes happy;

1. Seeing both of kids are healthy and smiling
    2. Able to sit and drink tea without any disturbance for 15 minutes
    3. Connecting with online and offline friends, chatting interesting things
    4. Seeing Colin Firth as a Darcy! (Specially, the lake diving scene!)
    5. Reading my favorite book (yet again, I have quite a few)

Thanks for remind me to remember. I had written similar post a few months back 10 things that make me happy and reading this list made me happy too.
    .-= Preeti @ Heart and Mind´s last blog ..No Spend Month Challenge- Update 1 =-.

• Hi Preeti,

I’m glad that you were happy when you read this article and thought of all the things that make you happy. You’ve got a great list started, and I’m sure you could think of a lot more things that make you happy. You can try referring back to the list when you need to change your mindset one of happiness and gratitude.

Thanks for sharing what makes you happy :-)

• Karen, What a beautiful and diverse list you have. Like you, writing a great blog article makes me feel happy and satisfied. Being in nature makes me happy. Watching our two new kittens makes me happy. Let going of fear makes me happy. I’m deeply inspired by your post. Write a list like this could really help just about anyone.
    .-= Sandra Lee´s last blog ..Exploring vulnerabilities =-.

• Hi Sandra,

Being in nature makes me happy, too, even though I don’t get an opportunity to be around it too much. Having pets can not only relieve a lot of stress but their antics bring a lot of happiness, too.

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts and I’m very happy that my list inspired you to write your own Happiness list. :-)

• Hey Karen,

Jumped here from Steve’s reference to your post. I see that you have received an impressive response to your list.

Like I mentioned in a response to your comment on Steve’s site as well, this reminds me of a post I had written a couple of years ago:

Reasons to be happy – The “Why I’m Happy List”
    (http://blogs.hotpotpourri.com/secrets-of-success/happiness/reasons-to-be-happy-the-why-im-happy-list/)

Though I didn’t publish my list there, I wrote about the concept and how everyone can use it to revolve their life around the “Why I’m Happy List” and enjoy more happiness. I see that you have done a beautiful job at creating your list. Great stuff!

Cheers!
    Mark
    .-= Mark of Success´s last blog ..Site Announcement- Get a do-follow link from my site to yours =-.

• Welcome Mark,

Thanks so much for the link. I’m glad that other people are looking into what makes them happy so that they can change their mindset to one of happinesss when they need to.

I’m glad that we are both on the same wavelength here. More of happiness should be spread about, after all it’s within each of us as a choice.

Thanks!

• Awesome list. May I say ice cream up there with chocolate in the first spot? :) Also as I read through your list you have a creative streak in you Karen that goes through with your happiness. From writing to process in responsibility and the simple things like water and feeling under your toes, your happiness is truly real. It’s combining all your sense and putting yourself in the moment to be happy.

Thanks for sharing your happiness. It certainly made me happy.
    .-= Thu Nguyen´s last blog ..How I Reviewed- Rewrote and Revived My Ideas to Keep Hope Alive in Times of Blogging Slumps =-.

• Thanks so much for the kind words, Thu. I’m glad that you enjoyed the article so much.

• You know what, I’m going to write that list. I was scared to (because I thought I’d never come up with 100) but instead of fixing on a figure, I’m going to sit with the children and a piece of paper and a pen and just see what I come up with.

Thanks Karen, you are an inspirational super star. :) x
    .-= Eleanor Edwards´s last blog ..On the importance of flying and space to just be =-.

• Hi El,

Thanks so much for saying that. I didn’t expect the article to garner quite this response, but I’m glad to see that other people are inspired to write their own list. Maybe you and your kids can write up what makes you happy – I bet you will be really surprised at what they put on their list. What invaluable information that would yield for you.

• You had me at chocolate! :-P
    .-= Amit Sodha – The Power Of Choice´s last blog ..The 7 Big Illusions In Life =-.

• For me:
    Seeing a list of 100 things that make someone happy and such a long list of comments from people supporting the concept and doing the same.
    This world is full of great people!
    .-= Tim (MiniLifeHacks)´s last blog ..Take a Detour- Get a New Perspective =-.

• Welcome Tim,

Yes, isn’t it great that something so simple can inspire other people to take the time to reflect on what makes them happy? Just a little change in mindset can really help someone who hasn’t been feeling all that happy.

I’m glad that you got a touch of happiness from the list and from everyone here :-)

• grammer checking makes me happy – I refer you to your point number 46 ;)

• Thanks, Lewis. Updated :-)

• Hi, I looked up ‘things to make me happy’ because I wasn’t in the best mood and this really helped me out. Thank you this is so inspirational to me!

• I felt low and just typed ‘make me happy’ on Google and guess who’s list I got.
    Thanks I feel good now. Al start thinking of mine.
    Regards.
    Kuria.

• Great ..I need to write my own now…many of yours will be included in there! :)

• Good list. I’ve tried to look into generic principles of happiness behind the things you’ve listed up there and I came up with 40 of them. Probably missed a few… but I’ve compiled all those into an online crossword puzzle that you can find/play on my blog at:

Cheers :-)

• this is awsome!

• I did exactly the same as Kuria, recently have been going through a bad patch and it helped me to see how small life’s pleasures can be :) x

• You are simply awesome, wonderful things you share :D

• Each evening I will affirm my appreciation of what is truly important, my Home, my Health and my Heart. Every breath is a renewed appreciation for Life and I Live in Awesome Grace and Tranquility, Now and Forever… (and I know this to be true and I can release all that does not serve me and Rejoice in Freedom because it is the Truth of who I AM).

• Hi, I am at a stage in my life where I am just down in the dumps, and i just typed in “make me happy2 in the search bar, and thank you! for inspiring me, I am now going to start my happy list for 2013, thanks Wendy, x

• Wendy (above) stole my exact thoughts. Your site made a difference in my life today. It bought ms back on track that happiness is found in the everyday small things

• I olve your list Ms. Karen and there are quite a few things on your list that I love and enjoy also. You have really helped me out a great deal and I am so appreciative. Thankyou so very much!!!

• Thanks for sharing your list! Reading it makes me happy too! :)

• Nice one. I will make my list and also see that I am through those things which makes me happy in daily life.

• Hi there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and
    personally recommend to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.

• Thank Karen for your list. I’m gonna think make one for me and it will help me guided by the things that will make me happy too :)

Love your list. I admire woman like you. You seem wonderful as a person with great courage to face daily circumstances in life. If you were a soldier, definitely, I could tell you’re an amazing warrior/fighter/knight. I hope to become someone like you, or a woman who has strong will to become what she really wants to be. Reading your article inspires me. May God bless you and your family always.

• ok . tell you what , i was angry and sad from my family and i came to computer and searched “make me happy” .
    i really needed that . anyway , i came to this site and it made me smile .
    thanks .
    i will look forward to write a list like this for my self .
    thanks again . =)