Create Your Future Using a Vision Board

paint brush and palette

Can you clearly see your future? Do you know where you are heading and what you want out of life? Or is your future kind of fuzzy and you don’t know what you want? Creating a vision board can be a powerful tool that you can use to clearly describe what you want your future to be.

Many people may already be familiar with this concept, but there’s a lot of people who are not aware how powerful having a vision board can be for your life.

We all have goals for our lives and hopefully we are taking action each day towards obtaining those goals.

In addition to writing these goals down, we can also use the power of visualization to super-charge our motivation to achieve anything we want in life.

The power of visualization lies in its ability to program our RAS (reticular achieving system) to tune into the external stimuli that moves us towards what we want in life.

We become more aware of our environment and notice those things that we want in life.

Ever notice how after buying a product, that everyone seems to have the same product? Nothing’s changed except your awareness of that product. This happened to me recently when I bought my MacBook Pro laptop. I started noticing them more and more, particularly when I went into a Starbucks. I’ve always been a PC woman, so I never really noticed MacBooks before I bought one.

What is a vision board? It’s basically a collage of pictures that you take from magazines, brochures, your own photo albums or even ones you’ve printed from the net. You will be cutting out pictures and gluing them onto your scrap book or poster board. I prefer to use a 16 x 20 inch poster board for my vision board. But, if it makes it more meaningful for you, you can fill an entire scrapbook full of inspirational and motivational pictures.

What you will need to create your vision board:

- scissors, glue, poster board or scrap book, magazines, pictures, brochures (really anything that inspires you)

Not just any pictures should go on your vision board though. You should be cutting out pictures and words found in the magazines or brochures that really inspire you. Think of things that you really, really want to have, to, or be for your life. Don’t cut out any old wish-washy picture – find the one picture that really captures exactly what you visualize for your ideal goal.

If you’ve always a Porsche 911, then find a picture of the exact one (colour, model) you want and cut out and glue on your vision board.

If travel is something that you want to do in your future, then find some inspirational travel places – not just anyplace – but the place that if you went to you would be able to die happy.

Notice how certain words in magazines jump out at you. Cut those words out and glue them to your vision board. Words are very powerful and just seeing them together with all your other pictures can be very motivational.

Keep filling out your vision board until it’s completely full of all the things that if you had in your life, you would be happy.

Next, hang your vision board up somewhere prominent so that you can look at it daily. Mine is taped to the wall beside my computer desk.

It’s amazing how just by having a vision board and idea of what you want that you can attract that very thing into your life.

Another reason to go through this exercise and create your own vision board is that it can be used as a motivational tool. I know that when I’m feeling unmotivated, I can just glance over at mine and use the power of visualization to re-motivate me. It becomes the reason why I can sit at the computer for hours on end and continue with my writing projects. My vision board provides me the ‘why’ I need to continue. Having a strong enough ‘why’ is all you need to figure out the ‘how’.

What’s going on your vision board?

1. Top 5 Reasons To Leave Your Job
2. My Top 5 Secret Success Factors
3. Invest In Your Most Important Asset – Yourself
4. 10 Things You Can Do Right Now To Improve Your Life
5. Are You Being Your True Authentic Self?

• I’ve certainly heard of doing a vision board but just haven’t prioritized it….but I think it’s about time because I am a visual guy and I’ve certainly got a ton of goals rolling around in my little brain. I’m curious Karen, what are the main things on your board? It would be cool to have posted a photo of yours in this post.

Regardless, thanks for the great read and ideas. Have a wonderful day.
    .-= Marcus Sheridan, The Sales Lion´s last blog ..Parenthood and the Three Longest Days of My Life =-.

• Welcome Marcus,

I do have a picture of my vision board that I was going to post, but it turned out to be very dark when I tried uploading it. What’s on it? I have a postcard from Las Vegas (a city I love visiting), a puppy (that I want one day), a woman sleeping in a hammock (for when I take that Hawaiian vacation – I want to be that woman relaxing on a hammock reading a book), tons of specific words like ‘Yes’, “Family’. “Give’, ‘Money’, ‘Create’, ‘Love’, ‘Have Fun’, ‘Adventure’, ‘Enjoy Life’, etc/) surrounding the pictures. I have some cut outs of travel places that I want to visit one day and some other items that I would love to own. If you are a visual person (I am, too) then having this visual reminder near you can really help you focus and motivate your actions towards the attainment of what’s on your board.

Spent an hour or two and create your own. You might be surprised at how much it helps.

I hope you are having a fantastic day, too. :-)

• Great tip, Karen. We simply cannot get to where we are going if we do not have a crystal clear, felt-vision of the outcome. We have to see ourselves in that picture/vision board in vivid living color until it feeeeels real! The subconscious level of our mind thinks visually. If your subconscious cannot see it… it’s highly unlikely you will experience it.

• Exactly! Thanks for adding why it’s so important to have a clear vision of your future, Rob.

The vision board technique can be a very powerful one for attaining what you really want in life.

I’ve been using vision boards for many years. When I first heard about them we called them, “treasure maps.” It’s amazing when you go back later to look at them and see that everything you put on your vision board has come true!
    .-= Angela Artemis´s last blog ..How to Plug Into The Reality of Our Oneness =-.

• I’ve never heard them called ‘treasure maps’ before, Angela, but I can understand why they could be called that. You would put all the ‘treasure’ that you wanted for your life. Neat!

Nice post! Using vision board is really helpful as it keeps reminding us of our goals and what we want to achieve in life. Visualization is so powerful that it can do miracles in our lives. Thanks for sharing
    .-= Dia´s last blog ..8 characteristics creative people have =-.

• Exactly, Dia! The vision board not only focuses us on what we want in and for our lives, but acts as a powerful visualization tool, particularly for those of us who need tangible reminders to motivate us.

Excellent idea! If nothing, it should motivate you to keep going or to formulate a plan.
    .-= Moon Hussain´s last blog ..Help Call- Help Me Name My First Ebook! =-.

• Thanks, Moon! Vision boards can certainly keep you on track and motivate you to attain what’s important in your life.

• Part of RAS is the COS sensor that MUST be built in (COS – Croc of Shit) LOL.
    SOrry, but that acronym just asked to be mocked.
    I am a firm believer in the power of seeing what you want ion order to get it quicker, but so long as you remember to actually ‘do’
    My aunti has vision boards all over the place with fancy cars and houses etc. She never does anything to meet these dreams, just looks at them.
    Sorry luv, not quite the idea LOL
    .-= Alex´s last blog ..By- wp-popularcom » Blog Archive » Keyword Winner SEO Plug-in =-.

• Well, Alex, you’ll have to tell your aunt to not only look at her vision boards, but to also make sure that she takes some actions on obtaining what’s on those boards. Maybe she doesn’t really want what’s on her vision boards badly enough? The visual reminders should be motivational enough to take small steps to reach those goals.

How about you? Do you have a vision board for what you want in life?

• Hi Karen, Alex and yourself raise interesting points. Without action the Vision Boards are meaningless, but as you say, if you want it enough you’ll do something about it.

So, when designing your vision board only ever include the things you want not the things you’d like to have.

Great post as always Karen, I think Vision Boards are a very powerful communication tool for your goals (and err..your vision!)

Matthew
    .-= Matthew Needham´s last blog ..Leadership advice from Darth Vader =-.

• Hi Matthew,

I know that the words and pictures on your vision board aren’t necessarily enough to bring what you want into your life. It’s important to take action on what is motivating you to achieve what’s on your vision board. Ask yourself why you chose that picture or word? If it’s not motivational or inspirational to you, maybe it shouldn’t be on your board?

• A vision board is one of the many tools to use to totally “brainwash” our minds to think of only what we want to get done. Other ways include creating a writing and rewriting wishes, recording audios of what we want to desire to achieve and listening to it over and over, reciting or making declarations of desires using present tense and so many others.
    What is key making sure we are “mind full” of what we want to achieve.
    .-= Olusegun´s last blog ..WHAT’S MY EXCUSE FOR FAILING =-.

• Hey Olusegun,

You know, I have never used an audio recording of what I want to achieve in life. That sounds like a great idea. I can definitely appreciate the power if I record my own voice and talk about what I want my life to have (and achieve) and then listen to it. It would be very powerful and motivating. Some people are visual while others are auditory learners, so I can see where this would be a very powerful technique for some people.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts,

• Again…more fuel for my life. I have been on a journey, recently, discovering the nuclear power that is accessible in my “inner theater.” I’ve used it alot in the past by visualizing my daily worries. It never helped. In fact, it served as an effective blockade to a life experience I wanted. I also really appreciated the suggestion of using words on the vision board. The words, “infectious influencer” are two that label and motivate my personal “mission statement.” They are going on the vision board that I am going to make for myself. Thanks, again.
    .-= Gary Ellis´s last blog ..How To Under-Whelm Yourself 5 =-.

• Welcome Gary,

You used to visualize your daily worries? If you are a believer in the Law of Attraction you would be manifesting more of those worries because you were focused on them. I’m not surprised that it didn’t help. Many people find words to be just as effective as pictures on their vision boards and I know that my own board is probably 1/3 full of words. Give it a shot, be open to the process working, and let us know if you focused on what you want to bring into your life, rather than what you don’t want.

• Ocna Sibiului Pensiuni

I have read so many articles concerning the
    blogger lovers except this article is in fact a fastidious piece of
    writing, keep it up.

• I’m amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that’s both equally educative and interesting,
    and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head.
    The problem is an issue that too few people are speaking intelligently about.
    Now i’m very happy that I stumbled across this during my hunt for something relating to this.

• Very rapidly this web page will be famous amid all blogging viewers, due
    to it’s good articles or reviews