Something To Think About – Uniqueness

iStock_000009371675XSmall

Because I needed to hear/read this tonight and thought that maybe you needed to read this, too:

Challenges come in the form of questions. In this case, you know the questions. They aren’t new. You’ve thought of them during some dark night, when you just couldn’t sleep.

Why are you here on earth?

What’s different about you, from anybody else?

Why are your fingerprints unlike anyone else’s on the face of the earth, or in the total course of history?

You know the questions.

And you know the answers.

Actually, it’s just one answer, and it all comes down to this: the world has never seen anyone quite like you before, and it will never see another You again.

And there is something you have to contribute to this world that the world needs from You, no matter how small or unimportant you may think you are, in the grand scheme of things.

You were born, you are breathing, you are here, because there is something you have to contribute to the world that world really really needs. At least in that place, at least in this time, at least with your style, at least with your character and stamp upon it.

Someone needs you.

Someone’s life has been, and will be, better because of you. Maybe many many “somebody”s.

Be you a health care professional, or a scientist, or engineer, or techie, or digger of ditches, it doesn’t matter. The world needs all these things, but animated specifically by your spirit, your brains, your personality, beneath and in it all.

Your purpose in life isn’t just a mattter of what kind of work you do.

It’s a matter of who you are, what kind of person you are, and whether you choose to be the best You that you can possibly be, or not.

- Richard N. Bolles, What Color Is Your Parachute?

Just Something To Think About.

1. Something To Think About – Sacrifice
2. Something To Think About – Self-Reliance
3. Book Review: Crush It: Why Now Is The Time to Cash In On Your Passion
4. Are You Being Your True Authentic Self
5. Book Review: The Alchemist

• Whatever we perceive ourselves to be, our noble purpose it to help one another. Our uniqueness beckons us to discover ourselves, so that we may know what we can become. :-)

• Very profound, Walter. I couldn’t agree more that we owe to ourselves and others to discover our true selves.

• Hey Karen:

We are definitely all unique and our uniqueness will touch someone within our life.

Some bloggers find it difficult to sometimes difficult to find their uniqueness because they are so interested in driving traffic to our blog that they try to emulate other popular bloggers.

I have to say the your blog and your style of writing is unique and I love it.

Thanks!

- Rick

• Ahhh, just what I need to hear today, Rick :-) Thanks so much for the kind words.

It can be sometimes very hard to see the effects of our uniqueness and how we touch other people. It’s surprising what effect we have on others in our lives. It can be very humbling, but I do believe that everyone has a gift within themselves that the world needs.

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts,

• Could I just re-quote every word of this as my comment Karen? It’s a triumphant piece of writing that is elixir for the spirit, fuel for the emotions, and happiness for the heart. We are all magnificent with something to bring to life – ourselves and whats inside us. You have just helped unlock that. Masterful.

• Well, John, it was Richard’s words that were an elixir for the spirit, but I will accept my ‘masterfulness’ in sharing the words with others :-) I’m very glad that you were touched by this article.

Thanks so much for stopping by,

I love this post! Everyone has a purpose in life. We have got to find our purpose, so we can start contributing what we are meant to do and to make a positive difference in people’s lives. Thanks for sharing Karen

• Exactly, Dia! Glad that you enjoyed the post :-)

• This is a great reminder post, Karen. People need to remember that each and everyone is unique and has a unique blend of values, interests, personality traits and skills to share with other members of this universe and make a positive difference. Sometimes we get caught up in daily routines and schedules and lose sight of the many opportunities we have use our attributes and make positive contributions. And create a more meaningful existence for ourselves :) Thanks for sharing Karen!

• I agree, Ann, that we can create a more meaningful existence for ourselves and for others that we share this planet with when we accept and acknowledge that we all have our unique ideas, skills, knowledge and gifts.

I’m glad that you enjoyed the post.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts,

• You’re absolutely right! I’ve been thinking about this for quite some time, and often it’s a lot of doubt. Being the A Type Personality I am, the largest way I identify myself is through accomplishment. There’s been a lot of hardship and setbacks lately, so with my usual way of thinking, my identity is hardship. It’s done a number on where my head is lately.

I really needed this!
    Delena

• I can relate to the Type A and the need for accomplishments, Delena. It’s easy to forget that we are uniquely ourselves, just by being human, without all the accomplishments and other trappings.

I can also relate to the hardships. It’s very easy to get bogged down in certain situations that can have a serious effect on our confidence and that can shake our steadfast foundation. That’s why I posted this powerful reminder that we are all unique (whether we currently recognize or not) and have special gifts that only we can share with the world.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts,

• Excellent Karen to feature uniqueness. Too often we compare ourselves and our lives to others focusing on what they have and can do and what we haven’t and can’t. Better to switch the attention to what’s great and special and unrivalled about who we are and enjoy and celebrate that. We are one-of-a-kind and living that way is to live life to the fullest…and our best.

• Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts, John. I agree that it’s very easy to compare ourselves to others’ and wonder what we have to offer the world that’s so unique. That’s why it’s important to read these words and remind us that we are all unique and have unique gifts to share with the world.

What a wonderful post. We are all different in our own special way. Everyone should give to the world in his or her special way, no matter what it is you choose to do.

Yes we are all unique, that’s not coincidence. I believe that’s the way mother nature wants it to be.

Mother nature has given you many special gifts to be utilized in your own special way, It’s up to you whether or not you want to use those gifts to help yourself and others and make the world a better place.

Terry Conti

• Hi Terry,

It’s hard sometimes to recognize the unique gifts within ourselves and to also recognize that we can contribute meaningfully to our larger communities. Which is why it’s important to perform some self-relection on what makes you, you. No one on this planet of almost 7 billion people is exactly the same. Isn’t that what makes it so wonderful ;-)

Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your thoughts,

• Hi Karen, nice to meet you. :)

I love reading stuff about uniqueness, and especially when it comes to personal development. I’ve managed to convince myself that I’m just “weird” haha, but I like your take on what differentiates us from one another and how the world will never seen another like us again.

I like being weird/unique, but of course it’s hard not to compare myself to others all the time. Thanks for the inspirational blog post, Karen!

• Welcome Elise,

Weird and wonderful – absolutely nothing wrong with that combination! :-) We should be careful with labels, though as they can get stuck on us inappropriately.

Glad that you enjoyed the article and were inspired :-)

• Hey Karen,
    I think too many people don’t spend enough time understanding why they are unique. They will just go through life without ever discovering what really makes them special.

Everyone has qualities that can be beneficial to others. Your post is a good reminder of this.
    Thanks

• I agree, Steve, that many people don’t do the necessary self-reflection to recognize why they are special. It’s well worth the time to discover our uniqueness and the gifts that we have been bestowed upon (or gained through life experience). No two people are exactly alike (never has been or will be). That’s an awesome reminder for self-acceptance, too.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed this article :-)

My Mom and I had this discussion several years ago. We were driving to Florida and had both read the book, “What is Your Life’s Purpose” and it really started bugging her. She just didn’t feel that she was here for any particular reason which opened up this discussion and really got me to thinking.

Heck, I KNOW I’m unique!!! I don’t define who I am by what I do either. It’s sad that most people do. So when I ask people I meet to tell me who they are, they struggle. I think more people should sit back and figure this out for themselves before they continue with their lives. I think they would be much happier for having done that.

Thanks for this wonderful reminder… Awesome post!

Adrienne

• You make a great point, Adrienne, that many people define themselves by what they do, instead of who they are. We may not recognize our uniqueness, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not there. Everyone, including your Mom, has special gifts that only they have – I’m sure you reassured her of this fact during your car ride.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and I’m glad that you enjoyed the reminder :-)

• I truly believe if we touch one person in our lives, then what only matters most is ourselves. Being unique is a great human trait and if we find our purpose then the rest is just a bonus. thanks Karen

• That’s a great way of looking at life, Purple. Everyone has the potential to affect at least one person’s life for the better. Often, that’s all it takes :-)

Thanks for adding your thoughts,

• Whenever we do anything – however small it might be – it has a reason, an objective. When smallest of our actions are meaningful, then it stands to reason that the entire creation, the universe and everything in it too has a reason, an objective. I refuse to believe that we and the world around us just happened to be. There cannot be meaninglessness at such a VAST scale.

And therefore each one of us is unique, has a purpose and we MUST find our purpose. And that is the real challenge. The unfortunate thing is that more often than not, many of us spend the entire lifetime without finding that unique purpose for which we have come here. If there is any tragedy, it is only this.

• I couldn’t have said it better myself, Sanjeev. Thanks so much for putting the need for us to all find our unique purpose in life so succintly :-)

It’s such a simple question, but it goes directly to the heart of the matter and swiftly clarifies our path. Thank you.

• Thank you, Sandra, for your comment and support :-)

• I keep coming back to this post for motivation, inspiration, and a mental kick in the pants (if that makes any sense!). However, as Tony Robbins says, where focus goes, energy flows. So I’ve been focusing more on the things that I *can* do, and less on everything that’s falling down around my ears. There’s something that I can do to contribute, something the world needs. It might not be the entire world, per say, but there are some who could benefit from my own experiences.

Things are turning around. Slowly, but they are. =)

Thanks again!
    Delena

• Hi Delena,

You are exactly right – we should be focusing on what we can do and not what we can’t. The list of things that we can’t do definitely de-motivates me, but on the other hand, if I focus on what I can do (and isn’t it true that we all can do *something*) motivates me to more of what I can do. it’s a great cycle to start and continue. I think that sometimes all you can do it just take one baby step forward and keep the momentum going (especially when there is so much going on in the world these days).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts,

• This is post reminds me of the Walt Whitman poem, “Oh Me, Oh Life”, which Professor Keating recites to his class in the movie “Dead Poet’s Life”. There’s a phrase from the poem that says (and I’m paraphrasing from memory): “That the powerful play of life goes on, and you may contribute a verse.” That is, the meaning of life is that we’re all here in order to contribute a verse to the play of life.

It’s so true: we all have something unique to contribute.

• Oh, wow, I wish I could edit the previous comment. Let me try again:

This post reminds me of the Walt Whitman poem, “Oh Me, Oh Life”, which Professor Keating recites to his class in the movie “Dead Poet’s Society”. There’s a phrase from the poem that says (and I’m paraphrasing from memory): “That the powerful play of life goes on, and you may contribute a verse.” That is, the meaning of life is that we’re all here in order to contribute our own verse to the play of life.

It’s so true: we all have something unique to contribute.

• I’m going to have to look that poem up, Marelisa. It sounds right on cue :-)

Thanks so much for dropping by and sharing your thoughts,

• Thanks for the kind words. Another golden article, Karen.

• Thanks, Poul. Glad that you enjoyed the article :-)